Sense about Science is a unique campaigning charity that challenges the misrepresentation of science and evidence in public life. We advocate openness and honesty about research findings and work to ensure the public interest in sound science and evidence is recognised in public discussion and policymaking.
We’ve changed many debates about science and evidence over the past 15 years by involving the public and researchers in challenging misleading claims; we started and lead the AllTrials campaign for all clinical trials to be registered and reported; we review the transparency of government’s use of evidence each year; and run the Ask for Evidence public campaign. We help people use scientific questioning to navigate debates, from forensic genetics to allergies. Our direct approach to difficult subjects is ‘public-led, expert-fed’ and it is in high demand.
We now have a vacancy for a head of fundraising to develop and deliver a fundraising strategy and pipeline, working with the leadership and wider team to ensure we have a healthy, sustainable philanthropic income stream.
Achieve the charity’s fundraising ambitions through:
- Ensuring relationships with existing donors are maintained and nurtured effectively across our team and board
- Researching prospective donors, including foundations and individuals, and planning and orchestrating approaches
- Writing effective funding introductions, applications, proposals and donor reports
- Overseeing systems for tracking prospects, donor communications and the impact of funded work
- Working with the director to determine strategic priorities and ensure they will deliver funds to agreed targets
- Ensuring the highest professional and ethical standards are adopted to meet relevant legal, professional, regulatory and compliance requirements
- Reporting accurate and timely updates back to the director
- Ensuring that all pledged and committed income is collected from sources.
Attributes and experience required
- Experience as a senior fundraiser that will fit well with our small size, high impact mission
- Close knowledge of foundations and individual donors with interests related to science, knowledge and democracy, and experience of building high level donor networks
- A track record of submitting successful proposals and generating significant donor income
- Influencing skills and the ability to nurture relationships effectively
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent project management skills
- Demonstrable writing skills and ability to communicate complex issues in a clear and coherent manner to a wider audience
- BSc and/or further qualification in an appropriate field.
However, if you don’t have a CV that matches all these requirements exactly but you are absolutely convinced you are right for the post, feel free to write to us to make the case. This is a part-time role, equivalent to 3 days per week (hours flexible and for discussion), on a 12 month contract with potential for extension. Salary £45,000-£50,000 pro rata. We will also consider a freelance arrangement. Central London (EC1R). May include some travel and out of hours activity. To apply please submit a CV and covering letter to Rebecca Asher, deputy director, Sense about Science.
Questions? Email email@example.com
Application deadline: 10am, Monday 30 April. Interviews will be held on 15 and 16 May. Please let us know in your covering letter if you are not available for interview on either of those dates. Please also let us know when you would be available to start work, were you appointed.
We expect to receive a large number of applications for this post. So, unfortunately, we will be unable to notify unsuccessful applicants. If you do not hear from us by 11 May, please assume that you have not been shortlisted for interview. It is essential that you explore our work before applying: www.senseaboutscience.org